Cleanse and Detox to Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes
Author Sidebar: When I was diabetic, there were times when I struggled with getting my blood glucose to come down. At other times, I struggled with unstable blood glucose levels, where my blood glucose would spike for no reason.
This was very frustrating, especially when I thought that I was doing everything correctly in terms of eating right and exercising.
During my research, I discovered that after some people with diabetes have started to eat properly and exercise on a consistent basis, they reach a “wall” where they are unable to lower their blood glucose level below a certain point or their blood glucose spikes for no apparent reason.
In addition, some people found it almost impossible either to gain or lose any more weight. Why does this happen? How can this be fixed?
As it turned out (in my case), after years of eating a lot of processed foods and taking a lot of medications, various toxins from the food and medications collect in your tissues, especially your fat cells! And, your body will do everything in its power to hold those toxins in your fat cells, preventing you from burning fat and losing wight -- especially in the belly area.
At the time, I didn't really like the idea of doing a detox, because of my work schedule. So, a friend who happened to be an herbalist, suggested that I try a green smoothie every morning. Wow!! After several days, I felt like a new man! I felt "lighter" and energized like you wouldn't believe! A year or so later, I tried the same thing, but it didn't give me the same boost. By this time, I had a done quite a bit of research about various detox methods. So, I tried some organic herbal detox products (from Herbdoc). Wow! I had the same feeling of being lighter and energized.
So, I learned a few things: (1) Detox on a more frequent and periodic basis; (2) Use different detox methods to prevent the body from getting used to one method; (3) Eat/drink lots of green foods; (4) Use high-quality organic herbal products; and, (5) follow a sound diabetes diet, meal plan/meal plate and nutritional program along with the top 10 super foods to help with the cleanse and detox.
Exposure to Toxic Chemicals in Our Food, Drugs & Environment
Every day we are exposed to toxic chemicals in our food, OTC drugs, prescription drugs and the environment. These chemicals affect multiple systems in our bodies including the endocrine system, digestive system, immune system, urinary system, nervous system, reproductive system, and respiratory system.
In addition, some of these toxins may affect our other systems including the circulatory system, muscular system, integumentary system, and skeletal system.
As you can imagine, these toxins have led to many diseases and disorders associated with the various systems of our body, starting with the endocrine system (due to endocrine disruptors) and digestive system, nervous system and immune system.
Primary sources of these toxins come from the food we eat, the water we drink, the cookware that we use, the air we breathe, the carpet on our floors, the clothes we wear, the cars we drive, places where we work and shop ... the list goes on and on ...
In recent years, researchers and scientists have raised warnings about mounting toxic exposures, leading to efforts to rein in the use of chemicals known to be hazardous to human health. But, many of these warnings have gone unheeded.
However, you can do something to protect your own health by taking preventive actions to reduce your exposure and reduce the toxic load in your body's cells and tissues.
Some examples of preventive measures that you can take include:
Eat a diet focused on locally grown, fresh and ideally organic whole foods. Wash fresh produce well, especially if it's not organically grown.
Avoid processed and packaged foods, which are a common source of chemicals, both in the food itself and the packaging.
Eat wild-caught Alaskan salmon and sardines; and, avoid the conventional or farm-raised fish, which are often heavily contaminated with PCBs and mercury.
Eat certified organic grass-fed meats and dairy to reduce your exposure to hormones, pesticides and fertilizers. Avoid cow's milk and other dairy products containing genetically engineered recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH or rBST).
Filter your tap water for both drinking and bathing. If you can only afford to do one, filtering your bathing water may be more important, as your skin readily absorbs contaminants. If your tap water is fluoridated, keep in mind that not all filter systems will filter out this toxic additive.
Avoid OTC drugs and prescription drugs as much as possible! Drugs may seem harmless on the surface, but, they put a toll on your liver and kidneys! Ironically, your liver and kidneys are two of the major organs that try to help you in fighting your diabetes ...
Store your food and beverages in glass, rather than plastic, and avoid using plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Use glass baby bottles.
Buy products in glass bottles rather than plastic or cans, as chemicals can leach out of plastics (and plastic can linings), into the contents; be aware that even "BPA-free" plastics typically leach endocrine-disrupting chemicals that are just as bad.
Replace your nonstick pots and pans with cast-iron or ceramic or glass cookware.
Look for earth-friendly, animal-friendly, sustainable, certified organic and GMO-free products. This applies to everything from food and personal care products to building materials, carpeting, paint, baby items, furniture, mattresses and more.
When buying new products such as furniture, mattresses or carpet padding, consider buying chemical-free varieties containing naturally less flammable materials, such as leather, wool, cotton, silk and Kevlar, to avoid exposure to toxic flame retardants. Avoid stain- and water-resistant clothing, furniture and carpets to avoid PFCs.
Use organic toiletries, including shampoo, toothpaste, antiperspirants and cosmetics. EWG's Skin Deep database can help you find personal care products free of phthalates and other potentially dangerous chemicals.
Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to remove contaminated house dust. This is one of the major routes of exposure to flame-retardant chemicals.
Make sure your baby's toys are BPA-free, such as pacifiers, teething rings and anything your child may be prone to suck or chew on — even books, which are often plasticized. It's advisable to avoid all plastic, especially flexible varieties.
Replace your vinyl shower curtain with a fabric one or install glass doors.
Use natural cleaning products or make your own. Avoid those containing 2-butoxyethanol (EGBE) and methoxydiglycol (DEGME) — two toxic glycol ethers that can compromise your fertility and cause fetal harm.
Look for fragrance-free products. One artificial fragrance can contain dozens of potentially toxic chemicals.20 (When you consider that the industry has 3,100 stock chemical ingredients for their fragrances, you literally could be exposed to thousands of these chemicals every day if you're around others!) Also avoid fabric softeners and dryer sheets, which contain a mishmash of synthetic chemicals and fragrances.
Replace feminine hygiene products (tampons and sanitary pads) with safer alternatives.
Please Note: Even if you are able to do all of this, you should still perform a periodic cleanse and detox to help remove the toxins that accumulate in your body's cells and tissues (see below for details).
In many cases, blood sugar problems, weight gain, and chronic fatigue issues are due to the body’s excess toxic load, which prevents proper metabolism and consistent energy production within your cells.
In addition, as a self-protective mechanism, fat cells hold on to the toxins to prevent them from being released into your bloodstream. As a result, your body cannot metabolize and burn fat, making it almost impossible to lose weight, especially the fat in the belly area.
In addition, these fat cells trigger inflammation markers that cause an immune response that, in turn, may lead to spikes in cortisol, adrenaline and blood glucose. And, in the meantime, the liver is under a tremendous strain because it's processing the food and the medications while dealing with the problems associated with diabetes.
And, depending on the person's specific pathology, other organs such as the colon, kidneys, lymphatic system, pancreas and brain may also be struggling with functioning properly.
In addition, if there is a major bacterial infection, virus, or introduction of a toxin (such as a vaccine, antibiotic, NSAID or other prescription drug), this may trigger a faulty immune response and lead to a food allergy or an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
For diabetics who are not eating properly and exercising on a consistent basis, their excess toxic load is definitely affecting their liver and other organs, preventing proper metabolism and energy production. For diabetics who are eating properly and exercising, their toxic load may be less, but, it may still affect their liver and other organs.
More importantly, this also prevents diabetics from being able to reverse their diabetes naturally, because their bodies are under such a tremendous toxic load.
Cleansing-and-detoxification is a set of normal biochemical processes performed by the body's liver, colon, kidneys and other organs to remove chemicals, toxins and impurities from the cells, blood, and tissues.
These biochemical processes help to prevent and fight diseases like Type 2 diabetes on a continual basis and to keep the body as healthy as possible. These cleanse-and-detoxification processes are optimized when you eat healthy foods and exercise on a consistent basis.
However, in our fast-paced world it can be difficult to find the time to prepare healthy meals and exercise, especially, given our schedules and the easy availability and accessibility of convenience and fast foods.
Unfortunately, after a period of years of abuse, our bodies pay a heavy toll for living a sedentary lifestyle and eating unhealthy convenience foods, fast foods, and processed foods.
FYI: Did you know that the brain has it's own lymphatic system to help with its won detoxification? This is very important especially if you are dealing with the early stages of dementia! Don't wait for full-blown Alzheimer's to set in!
To compound the problem, our bodies are also bombarded with thousands of chemicals and pollutants on a daily basis from the air, water and environment.
As depicted in the following diagram, there are 5 major types of toxins that poison our cells and tissues:
- Organic chemicals
- Heavy metals
- Food additives
- Metabolic waste products
- Emotional toxins (Note: This is the one we overlook!)
These toxins inhibit the body's healing processes, which prevents you from being able to lose weight and reverse your diabetes naturally.
Under this heavy barrage of toxins, the cells become sick and the human body eventually reaches a point where it is no longer capable of flushing toxins and acid waste on its own.
As the toxins and acid waste accumulate in the cells, blood, tissues, and organs, they trigger an increase in inflammation/oxidation, the formation of pathogenic bacteria, fungus and mold, and lead to a state of poisoning commonly referred to as toxicity.
Over the years, toxins from food and the environment accumulate in the fat adipose tissues. These tissues release pro-inflammatory chemicals that cause more inflammation and oxidative stress. In addition, the body holds onto this fat for protection, making it difficult to lose weight and burn belly fat.
This is one of the many reasons why cleanse-detox is important for diabetics and overweight people; and, why it's a key step in the Death to Diabetes Wellness Program.
Common symptoms of toxicity include headaches, fatigue, increased allergy symptoms, overall aches and pains (particularly joint pain), and digestive discomfort. These symptoms occur when the body has become so clogged with toxins that it can no longer perform necessary functions effectively.
Toxins are generally acquired in one of three ways: through things we ingest (such as foods, drinks, drugs, negative thoughts, etc.); through external sources (such as the air we breath, radiation, environmental chemicals, etc.); and, internally by the body’s own metabolic processes.
Over the past decade, extensive research has found that if the body’s detoxification system is sluggish, toxins will accumulate, slowing down cellular energy production, increasing the number of tissue-damaging free radicals, and putting a strain on our gastrointestinal system, including the pancreas (which provides digestive enzymes to break down the food).
In addition, pathogenic bacteria continue to multiply faster than the immune system can kill them and remove their debris, creating an overloading and clogging of the lymphatic system and various organs.
This can eventually lead to various systemic diseases/ailments such as chronic fatigue, weight gain, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, cancer, fibromyalgia, and Alzheimer’s.
In the meantime, the body’s detoxification and excretory organs struggle to effectively remove the toxins, excess glucose, and acid waste.
The key detoxification and excretory organs include:
- Lymphatic system
The liver is the primary organ that performs the detoxification. The liver accomplishes this by using specific enzymes to transform the toxins into intermediate chemicals; and, other enzymes to transform the intermediate chemicals into harmless water-soluble substances that are then excreted in the bile or urine. But, if the liver becomes sluggish, clogged, or impaired, these toxins can begin to accumulate in the body’s tissues and blood.
Consequently, it is very important that the liver is kept as healthy as possible. Ironically, when we don’t feel well, we take an over-the-counter or prescription drug, which is toxic and only puts more stress on an already deteriorating liver and suppresses the symptoms, making us think we’re okay.
The colon (or large intestine) is important to cleansing and detoxification because it removes the unwanted fecal waste and other toxins. Discomfort in the colon usually manifests itself as something such as diarrhea or constipation.
Unfortunately, our response to this is usually a drug, such as a laxative, to “force” the elimination of the fecal waste. But many of the other toxins are left behind and reabsorbed into the bloodstream attacking the tissues and organs, and producing their own pathogenic bacteria that attack the body’s weakest points.
These attacks manifest themselves in the form of aches and pain in the back, joints, stomach, and head, and, then onto the other tissues and organs. This leads to more discomfort and more drugs, followed by more diseases, stronger drugs, hospital visits, and eventually death – unless the toxins are removed.
The kidneys are important to cleansing and detoxification because they filter the blood (210 quarts a day) by eliminating toxins and waste materials from the blood, and for maintaining the electrolyte balance by selectively eliminating some electrolytes while retaining others, according to the body’s needs.
Electrolytes include sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and chloride. These electrolytes are important because they are used by the cells to maintain voltages across the cell membranes and carry electrical impulses (e.g. nerve impulses, muscle contractions) across themselves and to other cells.
The kidneys also help regulate other bodily functions by secreting the hormones renin, erythropoietin, and prostaglandin. Renin helps control blood pressure, erythropoietin stimulates the body to produce more red blood cells, and prostaglandin helps control blood pressure, muscle contractions, and inflammation.
The high levels of glucose in the blood and the accumulation of acids in the kidneys cause the formation of kidney stones and ultimately cause kidney cells to die. Because kidney cells cannot be regenerated or repaired, the remaining cells have to work that much harder to filter substances from the blood.
In order to help with the filtering process, the heart increases the flow of blood plasma to the kidneys, which in turn elevates blood pressure. As the kidney cells continue to die, the risk of kidney failure increases dramatically.
The lymphatic system is also important to proper cleansing and detoxification. As the blood circulates, providing nutrients and oxygen to all parts of the body, the lymphatic system accumulates dead bacteria and toxins that need to be removed.
Lymphatic vessels are situated intricately alongside blood vessels, relying upon body movement to move the lymph fluid around to collect and drain away toxins and dead bacteria through the lymph nodes and skin (pores).
Most cleanse/detox programs do not bother to even mention the pancreas! But, cleansing and detoxifying the pancreas is very important for all diabetics.
For Type 2 diabetics, the pancreas is overworked because it is excreting too much insulin to meet the demands of high glucose levels. And, for Type 1 diabetics, the pancreas is excreting little or no insulin because the beta cells are either damaged or dormant, due to a faulty immune system response and harmful pathogens and viruses.
So, in both cases, the pancreas needs to cleansed and nourished to help it function better and under less stress.
In addition, the pancreas is involved in our digestion by secreting digestive enzymes that help the body with the absorption and assimilation of key macronutrients and micronutrients.
If you are a smoker, then, cleansing and detoxifying your lungs is imperative. In fact, we strongly recommend that you stop smoking if you really want to reverse your diabetes.
Please Note: However, as depicted in the detox flow diagram (below), the DTD Cleanse & Detox Program goes far beyond these organs to provide a more comprehensive detox program that addresses the major detox pathways within the body.
If the colon, liver, kidneys, lymphatic system, and other body systems are working properly, the body will cleanse and detoxify itself to get rid of the excess toxins.
And, as long as the body is provided with the proper nutrients, the body will continue to cleanse and detoxify itself.
However, if you have a systemic degenerative disease/ailment such as Type 2 diabetes, Type 3 diabetes (early stages), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, indigestion, or constipation, then, your body and its cells are sick and full of excess toxins, and are unable to cleanse and detoxify properly.
And, if your cells can't remove the toxins, then, your cells can't repair and heal themselves. This is a key point to understand because if your cells can't repair the damage being caused by your diabetes, then, it will be difficult to stabilize your blood glucose levels. You may be able to temporarily lower your blood glucose, but, eventually, it will start to creep back up.
As a result, you will not be able to keep your diabetes under control; and, you definitely won't be able reverse your diabetes.
Bottom-line: You will need to help your body perform the cleansing and detoxification.
The good news is that there are 7 key detox strategies that you can use to cleanse and detoxify your cells, tissues and organs to help reverse your Type 2 diabetes:
- Superior Nutrition
- Raw Juicing & Green Smoothies
- Raw Food Diet
- Herbal Therapy/Supplementation
- Exercise Regimen
- Sauna/Bath Therapies
- Cleanse-Detox Products
Specific examples of these detox strategies include the following:
- Consume the 5 live" super foods
- Avoid the 5 "dead" processed foods
- Eat primarily raw foods
- Drink raw vegetable juices
- Use a detox diet
- Use a fasting diet
- Use a plant-based diabetes diet
- Exercise daily
- Use sauna or bath therapy
- Use organic herbal therapy
- Use cleanse-detox products
- Use spirituality to detox your mind
- Use a combination of the above therapies
Eating “live” super foods (e.g. the Death to Diabetes Super Meal Diet) is one of the best ways to help your body with the cleansing and detoxification until your body is healthy enough to perform the cleansing and detoxification on its own.
If you want to further accelerate the detoxification process, you should drink at least 1 cup of raw vegetable juices (with 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed or wheat grass powder), preferably 30 minutes before meals.
Make sure that you are eating raw and plant-based foods with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, e.g. green vegetables, bright-colored vegetables, whole fruit, cold-water fish, plant oils, etc.
Systemic enzymes and eating raw foods help to support the immune and cardiovascular systems and to reduce plaque/fibrin caused by cellular inflammation.
Also, make sure that you are eating sulfur-rich foods (e.g. organic eggs, fish, cruciferous vegetables, allium vegetables), because sulfur helps your cells to absorb nutrients, fight bacteria and build your connective tissues. This is especially important when you have reached "the wall" -- that is, you have lowered your blood sugar, but, you can't lower it any further or you can't keep your blood sugar stabilized without increasing your exercise regimen.
Also, you should drink 1-2 cups of filtered (or distilled) water at least 3 times each day to help with hydration and the prevention of cellular dehydration due to high glucose levels and also from consuming foods/beverages that dehydrate your cells, e.g. fried foods, soda, diet soda, coffee, etc.
And, of course, you must avoid the "dead" foods that contain gluten, flour, wheat, dairy, sugar and trans fats.
By doing this, within a few days you should start to feel less lethargic and you should notice an increase in your regularity (bowel movements) with a better texture of your fecal waste.
Then, depending on your health state, within two to three weeks you should notice an increase in your energy level and a reduction in your cravings for the “dead” processed foods. These are indicators that your body is cleansing and detoxifying itself and initiating the healing process.
To further accelerate this healing, and depending on the severity of your health state, it may be necessary to use wholefood supplements to help nourish the colon, liver, gall bladder, lymph nodes, and kidneys.
It may be also be necessary to use organic herbal products to nourish the colon, liver, gall bladder, lymph nodes, and kidneys while protecting them from oxidative damage during the cleansing/ detoxification process.
You can also try cleanse-detox products, but, be very careful. Some of these products contain harmful chemicals, heavy metals and other ingredients that may do more harm than good.
Exercising on a consistent basis is another way to help accelerate the cleansing/detox process.
Sauna bathing or an Epsom salt bath is an excellent way to detox your skin and relax your mind.
Fasting is another way to detox, but, if you're diabetic, we don't recommend fasting until you have stabilized your blood glucose level.
Detox your mind by using meditation (e.g. yoga), prayer, laughter, helping others, showing gratitude, forgiving others, and using self-affirmations, and tapping into your inner spirit.
Key Point: If you struggle with losing weight or lowering your blood sugar even though you are eating healthy, we have found 5 major problems that are the major culprits:
- Toxic load in cells prevent fat metabolism
- Chronic cell inflammation inhibits cell repair, causes cell damage
- High cortisol levels due to a stressful life feed insulin resistance
- Nutrient deficiencies, e.g. magnesium, Vitamin D, potassium, sulfur
- Unbalanced hormones, e.g. insulin, cortisol, leptin, progesterone
Make sure that you get a complete physical exam to obtain an accurate diagnosis, prognosis and the potential root causes of your health problems.
So, why is cleanse and detoxification necessary and so important to your overall health?
Let’s take a car that has not had an oil change or engine tune-up and has been running on cheap fuel for several years. If you switch from the cheap fuel to a higher-octane “super” fuel, the car may run a little better, but it will still run sluggish. Once you change the oil and air filters and tune up the engine, the car will run even better.
The same principle applies to the human body – if you clean the filters (the kidneys and liver), then, this will help them to remove the buildup of toxins and waste and kill the pathogenic bacteria and parasites so that the body will run better.
If you are overweight by more than 20 pounds, more than likely, you are carrying as much as ten pounds of fecal matter packed in your colon.
If you are also struggling with high cholesterol or high blood pressure, then, your body is carrying extra fluid/waste in your cells and tissues.
Consequently, cleansing the liver and kidneys, your body’s primary filters, will help the body to better release this extra fluid/waste.
This will thin out the blood, hydrate cells, break down fats, absorb protein, convert glycogen to glucose, turn on the body’s natural healing mechanisms, and, in most cases, lower blood pressure, inflammation, cholesterol, glucose levels, and body weight.
As a result, a complete or full-body detox can help to prevent or stop the progression of major diabetic complications such as retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, or heart disease.
Note: For more details concerning a full body detox, read Chapter 9 of the Death to Diabetes book, or get the Cleansing/Detox ebook and Drug Weaning ebook to decrease the toxic load in your cells. This will help to rest your organs and prevent these complications as well as prevent your immune system from becoming weak, especially during flu season.
Note: If you have an autoimmune disease, PCOS, or if you have issues with your thyroid, get the How to Treat Autoimmune Diseases, PCOS & Thyroid Issues Naturally ebook. This ebook explains how to treat the more common autoimmune diseases as well as how to optimize the health of your thyroid.
Note: Get the Nutritional Supplements ebook for a list of the top wholefood supplements and herbal tinctures that deal with colds and the flu.
Detox Changes Biochemistry from Diabetic to Non-diabetic
Cleanse and detoxification helps to reverse your diabetes by changing the biochemistry in your body from a diabetic state to a non-diabetic state.
More specifically, when you reverse your diabetes to change your body's biochemistry, this reduces the cell inflammation, oxidation (free radical damage), protein glycation (RBC damage), and excess toxicity within your cells.
If the colon is backed up (e.g. constipation) when the liver empties its toxins into the colon for removal, the liver deposits the toxins into fat cells, and the toxins are retained in the body.
Consequently, colon cleansing/detoxification can provide relief from the buildup of these toxins and illnesses such as colds, flu, constipation, diarrhea, breath and body odors, fatigue, headaches, sinusitis, allergies, hemorrhoids, weight problems, digestive difficulties, back and muscle aches, knee pain, poor eyesight, poor memory, stress, etc.
Benefits from colon cleansing include a dramatic relief of aches and pains in the back, chest and joints; a dramatic increase of energy and mental awareness; overwhelming joy, incredible insight, and even better sex.
Proper colon cleansing/detoxification can promote improved assimilation of food and nutrients leading to improved health.
Key nutrients that help to cleanse, detoxify and nourish the colon include:
- Bentonite clay, charcoal, apple pectin, psyllium husk: provide needed bulk fiber for removal of compacted fecal matter, mucosal plaque, intestinal parasites and toxins.
- Chlorella: is a blue-green algae superfood that contains high levels of chlorophyll, which is one of the greatest nutrients for cleansing the bowel and other elimination systems, such as the liver and the blood. Chlorella contains amino acids, enzymes (including pepsin for digestion), vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates; and, RNA and DNA, the building blocks of life. Chlorella is comprised of a fibrous, indigestible outer shell that has been proven to actually bind with pesticides like PCBs and heavy metals like mercury. Chlorella helps to remove metabolic wastes in tissues and provides support to the liver.
- Flaxseed, psyllium seed, slippery elm bark, marshmallow root: reduce inflammation and irritation of intestinal walls to facilitate healing. Ground flaxseeds absorb water and expand in the colon, allowing toxins and mucus to be removed. In addition, flaxseed has been found to help lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Garlic (raw): provides microflora balance to the gastrointestinal tract and strengthens the immune system.
- Herbs effective in killing parasites: include garlic, black walnut hulls, clove stems, cranberry extract, grape seed extract, fennel, goldenseal, pumpkin seeds, sage, thyme, and wormwood.
- Peppermint leaf: helps to reduce and move gas that is created during a deep intestinal/bowel cleanse. It also reduces spasms.
- Probiotics: help to replenish the population of friendly bacteria in the colon after cleansing.
- Senna, ginger: help to strengthen the colon muscle and increase peristalsis.
- Spirulina: is a blue-green algae superfood, similar to chlorella, but contains a higher level of GLA and potassium.
- Whole foods: include green, leafy vegetables, dark-colored fruits, and organic whole grains that contain fiber to help eliminate toxins and other waste products.
Please Note: Be careful with colon cleanser products -- some of them can be harsh and damaging to your colon and the rest of your gastrointestinal system.
Liver cleansing/detoxification can provide relief from ailments such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, blood clots, thick sticky blood, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, allergies, weight problems, digestive difficulties, stress, and low sex drive.
Liver cleansing/detoxification helps to purge old fats, old cholesterol deposits, gallstones, poisons, drug residues, and toxic waste from the liver while regenerating and healing liver cells.
The following is a list of key nutrients that help to cleanse, detoxify and nourish the liver.
- Alpha lipoic acid (ALA): protects the liver from potentially harmful cell changes and assists it in flushing toxins from the body. ALA is effective in minimizing liver toxicity following exposure to poisons such as heavy metals (including lead) and toxic industrial chemicals such as carbon tetrachloride. Food sources: spinach, broccoli, Brewer's yeast, Brussel sprouts, rice bran, and organ meats.
- Aloe vera: contains polysaccharides, enzymes, glycoproteins, amino acids, vitamins and minerals that help to support the immune system and detoxify the digestive system.
- Apple juice (organic): contains mallic acid, which weakens adhesions between solid globules and softens/dissolves gallstones.
- Artichoke: contains potent polyphenols (bioflavonoids, caffeoyl-quinic acids) that work to cleanse the liver and provide antioxidant protection while it releases accumulated toxins. Artichoke increases the production of bile in the liver to aid in the digestion of fats, which can relieve bloating, gas and other uncomfortable symptoms of indigestion. Artichoke is an excellent source of fiber, and contains magnesium, folate and Vitamin C.
- Barley/wheat grass, dandelion root, wormwood: contain nutrients that increase bile and help to clean the liver and bile ducts to allow excess cholesterol to leave the body. They help to flush fat deposits from the liver and prevent the formation of gallstones.
- Cilantro: is known as Chinese parsley, and refers to the leaves of the coriander plant. It is a cooling herb and puts out excess flames in the stomach and generally enhances digestion. In recent years, modern science has discovered that cilantro is a natural chelation agent that is very helpful in removing heavy metals such as lead, mercury and aluminum from the body.
- Dandelion root: is one of the two major herbal liver tonics (with milk thistle) that helps to increase both the production and the flow of bile. It also prevents liver congestion by helping to flush out fat deposits.
- Epsom salt: contains magnesium sulfate, which serves to relax and dilate the bile duct so that larger stones can pass through during a liver flush. The Epsom salt also serves to evacuate the small and large intestines of feces.
- Extra virgin olive oil, barberry: stimulate the liver, the gallbladder and the production of bile. Extra virgin olive oil specifically stimulates the gallbladder and bile duct to contract and expel its contents.
- Garlic: kills bacteria, fungi, and other harmful pathogens, and helps to increase intestinal microflora. Also, binds with cadmium, mercury, and lead and removes these metals from the body to prevent cancer. Aged garlic has shown to provide even better health benefits.
- Milk thistle: is the other major liver tonic (with dandelion root). It contains silymarin, a bioflavonoid antioxidant that provides protection and healing of the liver by strengthening the structure of the liver membrane to prevent the penetration of toxins; and, increasing protein synthesis to stimulate the regeneration of damaged liver cells and the generation of new healthy liver cells. Milk thistle supports the production of the liver’s own powerful antioxidant enzymes, such as glutathione.
- Turmeric: contains essential oils and the active ingredient curcumin, which is a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that protects the liver. Curcumin increases the secretion of bile by stimulating the bile duct. Curcumin protects the liver from detoxification, stimulating the gall bladder and scavenging free radicals. In conjunction with the adrenal glands, curcumin inhibits both platelet aggregation and the enzymes that induce inflammatory prostaglandins. Curcumin also helps to break down fats and reduce cholesterol.
- Other foods: that help to cleanse the liver include apples, avocados, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, grapefruit, and spinach. But, if you're diabetic, you should avoid or limit your intake of beets and carrots.
Cleansing/detoxification of the kidneys can provide relief from ailments such as high blood pressure, fatigue, urinary tract infections, and kidney stones. The following is a list of the key nutrients that help to cleanse, detoxify and nourish the kidneys.
- Apple cider vinegar (organic): contains nutrients that dilute the toxins in the bladder; and; help to remove acid crystals that collect in soft tissues and the joints (causing arthritis). Take a mixture of 2 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp. raw honey and 1 cup of filtered water 4 times daily during a weekend so that the crystals can be flushed out of the body by the kidneys and other organs.
- Cranberries: contain phytonutrients that help to fight urinary tract infections. Specifically, cranberries contain concentrated tannins known as proanthocyanidins that prevent Escherichia coli (E.coli) bacteria from adhering to walls of the urinary tract. They also contain Vitamin C, which inhibits the growth of some bacteria by acidifying the urine.
- Dandelion leaves: provide diuretic effects in treating urinary disorders and fluid retention without depleting the body of as much potassium as other diuretics.
- Goldenrod: increases the production of urine without reducing levels of important electrolytes.
- Horsetail: contains potassium and manganese along with several bioflavonoids, which cause the diuretic action, while the silicon content exerts a connective tissue strengthening and anti-arthritic action.
- Juniper berries: support the urinary system to maintain proper fluid balance.
- Lemons/limes: contain phytonutrients that help to flush the kidneys, relieving some of its workload. They contain Vitamin C, which inhibits the growth of some bacteria by acidifying the urine. Drink a glass of warm lemon water every morning.
- Parsley: supports eliminating wastes from the blood and tissues of the kidneys; prevents salt from being reabsorbed into the body tissues; helps improve edema and general water retention, fatigue and scanty or painful urination; and, aids in the dissolving of kidney stones and gall stones.
- Uva ursi leaves: contain the glycoside arbutin, which kills bacteria in the urine. Arbutin is water-soluble so it is easily carried via the blood to the kidneys.
- Vegetable juices (raw): such as celery, cucumbers, parsley, lemons, limes, and cranberries are very beneficial to the health of the kidneys and the urinary tract. Optional: wheat/barley grass juice.
- Water (filtered or distilled): helps to cleanse the urinary tract of bacteria and dilute the concentrated toxins in the bladder. Water also increases urine flow to reduce the exposure time of the toxins in your bladder and prevent bladder infections.
Cleansing of the pancreas supports the production and rebalancing of insulin and glucagon; and, proper functioning of the alpha and beta cells. Most diabetes programs fail to mention anything about cleanse and detox, but, to make matters worse, most diabetes programs fail to mention the importance of detoxing the pancreas.
The following is a list of the key nutrients that help to cleanse, detoxify and nourish the pancreas and the endocrine system.
- Beta glucan: contains soluble fibers that help to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the elevation in blood glucose levels by delaying gastric emptying so that dietary sugar is absorbed more gradually. Beta glucan is found in the cell walls of baker’s yeast, grains (e.g. oat bran, barley bran, oat/rye sprouts) and mushrooms (e.g. maitake, reishi, shiitake).
- Broccoli, onions, oysters, salmon, whole grains: contain biologically-active chromium to support insulin regulation and increase insulin usage by increasing the number of insulin receptor sites within cells.
- Cedar berries: improve insulin sensitivity.
- Dandelion root: contains trace minerals, inulin (a pre-biotic), and beta-carotene for the digestive system, especially the liver, gall bladder and pancreas.
- Enzymes (plant-based): ensure proper absorption of food for digestion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Lack of enzymes can possibly manifest as a food allergy or acid reflux.
- Garlic: contains beneficial nutrients—such as sulfur, arginine, oligosaccharides, flavonoids, and selenium—which have very positive effects on pancreatic tissues. In fact, a San Francisco Bay area study published by the National Cancer Institute linked individuals who consumed a high garlic diet with a 54-percent lower risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Glyconutrients: are plant saccharides that support the endocrine system to provide hormonal balance. Food sources include mushrooms, seaweed, aloe vera, gums, herbs, and seeds.
- Goldenseal root: supports the function of the liver and the pancreas.
- Gymnema sylvestre, bitter melon: help to stimulate beta cells and increase glucose uptake, reducing the blood glucose level.
- Juniper berries: support the pancreas, adrenal glands, digestive system.
- Licorice root: helps with hypoglycemia, and supports the adrenal glands and immune system.
- Spinach: and other leafy greens (i.e., kale, mustard greens, and Swiss chard) provide elevated levels of B vitamins and iron.
- Uva ursi leaves: support the pancreas and urinary system.
- Vegetable juices (raw): such as Brussels sprouts and string beans are believed to contain specific phytonutrients that stimulate the insulin receptors increasing insulin sensitivity and lowering insulin resistance.
- Yogurt (organic, homemade): contains active cultures (probiotics) to help ease digestion, protect the pancreas and digestive system, and reduce the overall risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates and excess animal meat consumption: because these foods put a strain on the pancreas.
Here are the top 10 natural detox methods to cleanse and detoxify your cells, tissues and organs:
Plant-based Nutritional Program: Include plenty of green and bright-colored vegetables, herbs and algae as part of your nutritional program. Cilantro, parsley, alfalfa, and chlorella, are powerful chemical and heavy metal chelators. Dark green vegetables and herbs alkalize and purify the blood, making it easier for the body to rid itself of wastes with less discomfort. You can juice these, include them in salads, and/or mix powdered forms into water or juice for a quick and effective dose.
Just as important, make sure that you avoid heavier foods such as meat, dairy, beans, and grains because these foods will slow down, or even stop the detoxification process.
Raw juicing: is an excellent method for helping your body to cleanse and detox to remove accumulated toxins and chemicals. And, if you want to magnify the benefits of raw juicing, then, follow a sound nutritional program.
Green smoothies: is another excellent way to help your body detox. However, be careful with what you put in the green smoothie; and ensure that you're including a balance of macronutrients. Some people forget to add healthy fats, which are important for detox, weight loss and blood glucose stabilization.
Activated charcoal: is a form of carbon that has massive surface area and a strong negative charge. It’s been around for thousands of years and it’s still used in emergency rooms today to treat poisoning.
Charcoal binds to chemicals whose molecules have positive charges, including aflatoxin and other polar mycotoxins, BPA, and common pesticides. Once the chemicals attach to the charcoal you can pass them normally via bowel excretion.
Charcoal can bind to the good stuff, too, so don’t take it within an hour of other supplements. Try taking a couple charcoal pills along with exercise or have a sauna session. They should absorb many of the toxins you release into your gut and GI tract.
Calcium-D Glucarate: converts to glucaric acid in your body, supporting a crucial detoxification pathway in your liver. Glucaric acid scavenges your body to bind and eliminate unavoidable toxins that would otherwise wreak havoc on your health and performance.
Chelation Therapy: is one of the best ways to detox and remove heavy metals from your cells and tissues. But, it can also be dangerous, so many doctors don’t recommend it unless you have moderate to severe heavy metal poisoning. Chelation therapy uses compounds called chelators that form strong bonds with heavy metals, leaving them unable to further poison your body. Chelators mobilize the toxins, and you can either pass them normally or bind them up with adsorbents like activated charcoal. Chelation therapy is very effective for removing lead, mercury, aluminum, arsenic, iron, and copper.
If you’ve been exposed to a lot of heavy metals, talk to a functional medicine doctor about chelation therapy. You really want to go to a medical professional for this one, because it’s so effective that if your liver and kidneys aren’t able to process the metals (a common problem in people with heavy metal poisoning) you can get seriously ill.
Glutathione: is a powerful antioxidant that protects you from heavy metal damage. Glutathione also supports liver enzymes that break down mold toxins and heavy metals. Unfortunately, your digestion will destroy normal glutathione, so consider using a liposomal glutathione supplement that makes it through your stomach. You can also supplement with pre-cursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), which your body can use to build glutathione on its own.
Exercise Consistently: Exercise helps to flush toxins from your body by increasing lipolysis (the breakdown of fat tissue), releasing toxins stored in your fat tissue. However, make sure that you’re getting rid of the toxins, not just moving them to a different part of your body. Working out addresses the issue to a degree: it improves circulation, providing more oxygen to your liver and kidneys so they can better filter out toxins. You can also give your system even more support and pull out toxins with activated charcoal and glutathione.
Exercise also helps the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system transports white blood cells, along with other waste materials and fat, which are filtered out through the lymph nodes. Essentially, the lymphatic system is the body’s inner “drainage" system. Physical movement (as simple as walking) aids the draining of the lymphatic system, and perhaps the best way to assist in the process is through regular exercise. This helps to keep fluids circulating and flowing so that nutrients can reach your cells. Any exercise is good for promoting the flow of lymph fluid, however certain exercises have been particularly beneficial. These include high intensity interval training (HIIT) and yoga.
Candida Cleanse: A candida cleanse is designed to remove candida within the body by removing all foods containing sugars. The candida diet requires avoiding all forms of sugar (including fruit and fruit juice), all refined flour and wheat products, any foods containing yeast; starches such as potatoes, rice and French fries; and all sweeteners including artificial sweeteners and natural sweetners such as agave nectar or raw honey. During a candida cleanse you should also avoid alcohol, dried fruit, mushrooms, cheese, pickled vegetables, and soy sauce. Taking organic oregano oil and a probiotic can enhance your candida cleansing efforts.
Juice Fasts: consist of consuming only freshly juiced fruits and vegetables for one to three days, or longer. The best cleansing fruits and veggies include apples, carrots, beets, ginger root, spinach, pears, celery, kale, cabbage, pineapple, cranberry, and other dark leafy greens. However, citrus fruits should be avoided while fasting. Also, if you're diabetic, you should avoid juice fasting until your blood glucose has stabilized. Organic fruits and vegetables are best.
Liver Cleanse: One way to cleanse the liver is to use bitter greens and chlorophyll juices such as wheat grass and dandelion greens. Other foods that help to cleanse the liver include carrots, celery, limes, lemons, and beets. Spices that offer cleansing effects on the liver include turmeric, rosemary, cayenne, cumin, and curry. It’s best to avoid coffee, milk, and sodas; instead, opt for purified water and/or organic apple juice. To help support your cleansing efforts, use a liver detox organic herbal supplement such as the one offered by HerbDoc.com.
Massage Therapy: If performed properly, massage therapy can help with blood glucose stabilization and circulation. In addition, reflexology can help with your diabetes. Reflexology is an ancient practice that utilizes pressure points to help improve physical and emotional well-being. Read below (in next section) for more details.
Raw Foods Cleanse: This is a temporary cleanse that advocates eating uncooked vegetables combined with smaller amounts of raw nuts, seeds, and sprouts. It’s an excellent way to detoxify the colon, liver, and other systems in the body. It alleviates the body’s need to alkalize the acidic nature of blood that results from a modern, non-alkaline diet.
Sauna: Sweating does more than cool you off. It also helps you get rid of both heavy metals and xenobiotics – foreign compounds like plastics and petrochemicals – in small but significant amounts. A 2012 review of 50 studies found that sweating removes lead, cadmium, arsenic, and mercury, especially in people with high heavy metal toxicity.
Sleep: Sometimes, sleep is overlooked as part of a detox program. Sleeping causes your body to go into a state of cleansing and regeneration. In fact, while you're sleeping, your body goes through a cleanse and detox. Without proper and sufficient sleep, detoxification organs don’t get the full recharge they need to function at optimal levels. Aim for 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night, in a dark, noiseless environment for optimal results.
Meditation: One of the parts of the body that we forget to detox is the mind! Meditation has been shown to ease depression, improve mental function, and reduce stress and anxiety. Meditation also reduces thought patterns or attachments to negative feelings that actually influence our physical chemistry.
Meditation quiets the the constant, undirected thinking that often brings anxiety, worry, and distraction into our everyday lives.
Our minds are cluttered with negative thoughts, moodiness, anger, jealousy, frustration, ego, etc. Our minds are stressed out and overworked and never get a rest!
We are surrounded by negative people that include drama kings and drama queens who love to stir things up. They're like vampires who suck the energy out of your body.
To make matters worse, from an intellectual perspective, we lack the proper knowledge about the importance of superior nutrition and the dangers of prescription drugs.
If you want to give your mind a break, try mediation, yoga or tai chi; and, take a break from the negative people. Even taking five minutes to practice meditation can bring you back into the present moment, encourage better decision-making, and allow you to truly experience your life to the fullest.
Other Detox Methods
Bentonite Clay: is incredible for internal cleansing. Bentonite Clay is made up of volcanic ash and is commonly found in the Northwestern United States and Italy.
The clay acts as a sponge as it passes through your body, undigested. It absorbs water and expands, creating a porous, sponge-like structure that draws toxins in. It is because of this spongey quality that bentonite clay is also combined with cilantro in order to help absorb some of the toxins and heavy metals that are being flushed from your system by the cilantro.
Cilantro: helps to flush heavy metals from the body. In one study, results showed that mercury deposits were successfully eliminated after consuming 100mg of cilantro four times a day. It was also discovered that the consumption of cilantro can speed up the elimination of aluminum, mercury, and lead deposits as well as other toxins throughout the body. However, since cilantro can occasionally break loose more toxins and heavy metals than the body can effectively process at one time, it is recommended that you pair the cilantro with bentonite clay, which will bind the toxins and ensure they are removed from the body and not reentered into the bloodstream.
Fiber: is another one that we all know is good to keep in the diet, but wouldn’t necessarily think of when we’re looking for a natural detox. Fiber helps to get rid of those toxins by binding to them and pulling them out of the body with it. By consuming the daily recommended intake of fiber every day, you are helping your body eliminate waste materials without even realizing it.
Probiotics: are well-known for their positive effect on the body, but less familiar to most are their natural detox capabilities. Different probiotic strains work best at certain functions when it comes to detoxification.
Probiotic strains found in kimchi, for example, have been shown to assist in breaking down various pesticides that work their way into the body through food and air. Lactobacillus bacteria, another probiotic strain, contain properties that allow them to bind to heavy metals without damage to their cells, and can help prevent damage to the body that would stem from those materials.
Lymphatic Drainage Massage: helps with detoxification and clearing of metabolic waste from the body. Most lymph nodes can be found between skeletal muscles. This means that when the muscles move, they create a pumping action, and that is how the lymph fluid moves throughout the body. Lymphatic drainage massage uses key pressure points to make muscles work in a specific manner, or work harder than they typically would, to increase the flow of lymph fluid through the body.
Other Herbs: There are so many other herbs that are great for detoxing. Dandelion can aid in digestive health and regularity. Parsley juice is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and assists the liver in detoxification and helps to cleanse the kidneys. Milk thistle contains properties that promote liver health and digestive function. Stinging nettle supports the kidneys in their critical role of filtering waste from the body. Neem, which people usually recognize for its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, can help to purify the blood and get rid of metabolic waste.
Vitamin C: Take Vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins. However, avoid synthetic Vitamin C and get your vitamin C from vegetables and fruits or a wholefood supplement such as camu camu berry. A teaspoon of camu camu berry has 10 times the amount of Vitamin C of an orange! Add it to your juice or green smoothie in the morning.
Reflexology is an ancient practice that utilizes pressure or reflex points to help improve physical and emotional well-being. It has a specific impact on circulation and specific organs of the body when you stimulate the reflex points on the hands and feet.
Reflexology can help with the following:
- Controlling blood sugar levels
- Better functioning of the kidney
- Improvement in blood flow
- Relaxing the body from stress and the day’s fatigue
- Reduction of pain (joint pains, kidney stones, chest pain etc)
Note: For the major reflex points of the endocrine system, refer to the following diagram: http://healthy-ojas.com/diabetes/diabetes-reflexology.html
Reflexology, if performed properly and on a regular basis, can reduce the pain associated with diabetes (e.g. neuropathy) and even help to reduce the need for diabetic drugs -- but, only if you eat properly!
It is always preferred and advisable to start the reflexology treatment with massaging the endocrine glands. Then, massage the organs that might cause blood glucose rise; and, then, massage the organs that would be affected due to the high glucose levels.
Massaging the reflex points such as the stomach (or solar plexus), small intestine, liver, and pancreas help to normalize the carbohydrate metabolism.
Provide special attention, if there is any pain, numbness in these reflex points. Different sensation at certain area means there may be some defect in these organs. If that particular point shows any positive change after massaging, then increase the frequency. If nothing happens, then, discard massaging those reflex points.
Reflexology Points to Control Diabetes:
Note: For diagrams of the major reflex points, refer to the following web page:
Place your fingers 2 centimeters below the knee, as shown in the picture. Massage this area with a little pressure for 5 minutes every day to balance the digestive system. You should immediately see a result.
Thumb and Index Finger joint:
This pressure point is very essential to relieve any kind of pain. Hold the joint between the thumb and index finger. Press and massage it for 5 minutes. You should experience relief in the large intestine. It also helps to reduce excess heat in the body. You should feel energetic and stress–free.
Feet Pressure Points:
This pressure point targets the liver. This is the best point for the treatment of insomnia, diabetes and hypertension. Regularly pressing and massaging this point will help to control your diabetes. Foot reflexology for diabetes is practiced to control the blood glucose levels.
Back of Knee Point:
The back of the knee represents the urinary bladder. Any kind of impurities can be drained out by massaging this point. Look at the picture, the point which is marked is the pressure point. Lay pressure on this point for at least 5 minutes every day. Excess urination and other problems related to the urinary tract should be reduced.
Hand Pressure Point:
The area near your wrist below the little finger is the pressure point that is good for the heart. All the emotions and stress from the heart should be reduced by massaging this point.
Big Toe Point:
Apply pressure under the big toe with the help of your fingers. Since it is hard for you to do this alone, ask a friend to help. The pressure points under the big toe will help in giving a long term relief from diabetes. Pressing this point should be be fruitful if performed on a regular basis.
Please Note! If massage therapy or using reflexology makes you feel dizzy or not well, you should stop immediately! Also, when you first start, make sure that someone is with you, especially if you have unstable blood glucose levels.
Some of the key health benefits of a comprehensive cleanse-detox program includes the following:
- Lower blood glucose level
- Stable blood glucose levels
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol and triglycerides
- Lower cortisol levels (stress hormone)
- Able to metabolize and burn fat
- Reduced belly fat
- Increased energy
- No more brain fog
- Reduced food cravings
- Able to absorb more nutrients from healthy foods
- Able to gradually wean off the drugs
- Prevent diabetic complications
- Reverse diabetes and most complications
The Death to Diabetes Cleanse-Detox Program will help you to enjoy these health benefits and more.
The Death to Diabetes Full Body Cleanse and Detox Program is a very comprehensive program that goes beyond other detox programs that only address the liver, colon and kidneys.
This detox program (as depicted in the following diagrams from our training class and Cleanse-Detox book/ebook), addresses not only the colon, liver, and kidneys, but, also the pancreas, digestive system, joints, brain, nervous system, cardiovascular system, immune system, and lungs.
Why is this important? Because diabetes is a systemic disease that, over a period of years, attacks and causes major cellular damage to all of your tissues and organs!
In addition, this program addresses how to detox your mind and handle your self-esteem, emotions, attitude, internal talk-track, self-motivation, and negative people. Again, this is an area that most detox programs ignore! If your mind is full of negative thoughts and full of hopelessness, you are not going to be motivated to change and stick with those changes to your diet and lifestyle.
Cleanse and Detox Diagram | Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
The following detox diagram identifies the major organs involved in the Death to Diabetes Cleanse and Detox Program. As you can see from the diagram, this detox process goes beyond the colon, kidneys and liver.
Other organs and tissues need to be cleansed and detoxified, including the brain, lungs, arteries, and joints.
Cleanse and Detox Flow Chart | Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
The following detox flow chart depicts the overall process and steps involved in the Death to Diabetes Cleanse and Detox Program.
In addition to the colon, liver and kidneys, the DTD Cleanse & Detox 10-Step Program/Ebook addresses the lymphatic system, arteries, brain, pancreas, skin, joints, lungs, and your emotions.
This comprehensive process not only helps your liver, colon and kidneys, but, it helps your other organs and improves your body's overall health so that it can have the opportunity to reverse your diabetes naturally.
Note: Be wary of fad detox programs! Although these detox programs may work in the short term, these types of programs tend to do more harm than good. For example, some fad detox programs cause fast weight loss, but, after you finish the detox, you regain the weight. Or, if you're diabetic, the detox may cause your blood sugar to spike.
Note: For more details about cleansing and detoxification, refer to The Top 10 Detox Foods web page. Also, refer to Chapter 9 of the Death to Diabetes book, the Cleansing/Detox ebook, the Raw Juicing ebook, the Raw Food Diet ebook, and the Drug Weaning ebook and/or flow chart.
Disclaimer: This site does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Copyright © 2018 Death to Diabetes, LLC. All rights reserved.